The proposed development at Manoel Island is limited to some 30% of the island’s area and is concentrated within the ‘brownfield’ area situated to the south west of the island.
The project will include an exclusive Mediterranean style marina village overlooking landscaped gardens, shoreline walkways and a picturesque and well protected yacht marina which is currently being enlarged to berth some 350 boats. The master plan also includes a boutique hotel, a waterfront casino, a host of cultural, leisure and sports facilities, marina-related commercial spaces and a shoreline promenade leading up to the old Lazaretto buildings and the majestic 18th century Fort Manoel, both of which are being fully restored. Once the development in the area is complete, the area around Fort Manoel will be opened up as a public park. Manoel Island is currently at design stage.
Overview of Manoel Island
- The planned development on Manoel Island will comprise low-rise exclusive homes in a unique leisure environment
- Mediterranean Marina Village built on a 'brown‐field' basis covering some 30% of the site
- Fully-fledged Yacht Marina, with some 350 berths, protected by a breakwater
- A waterfront mix of catering, retail and recreational facilities
- 2,000 car parking spaces
- A foreshore casino
- A public park
- Restoration of the 17th century Lazaretto, which will incorporate both residential and commercial use
- Restoration of other historical monuments on the island.
- Rehabilitation of the 18th century Fort Manoel which encompasses over 6,000m2 of internal space
- and large external areas