Restoration of Fort Manoel
Following years of extensive discussions under three government administrations, restoration works on Fort Manoel, a local heritage treasure on Manoel Island, took off in August 2001 by MIDI plc.
Fort Manoel was built by the Knights to protect Valletta's north-facing bastions from artillery action from the Isolotto in Marsamxetto Harbour. The first stone was laid in 1723, under the patronage of Portuguese Grand Master Manoel de Vilhena under the supervision of world famous engineer Mondion. Although the fort's defining characteristics survived the ravages of time, countless changes were effected over the years to meet the exigencies of military strategies. It also endured numerous direct hits during World War II and was subsequently damaged by a combination of vandalism and neglect.
Over the years, a rectified photographic record of all the buildings within the fort has been compiled. This was followed by a mapping process ‐ which has meticulously detailed all damages, their nature and causes, in order to determine the interventions that were required.
The restoration of various important heritage sites on Manoel Island is an on-going process and to-date more than €20 million has been invested by MIDI in the restoration of St George’s Chapel and the majestic Fort Manoel.